Wednesday 15 February 2012

Tummy Chronicles: Wa’s and Kinjo (Dalhousie)



Back from another weekend with the manfriend, I guess we made it a sushi Sunday. First stop Wa’s .

Overall Restaurant Rating:
★★☆☆☆ /★★★★★

Hmm not too sure about the service, it was kind of here and there. It was sort of uninviting at first to me, like everyone was too busy to even let you know how long of a wait it would be. And don’t get me wrong it was pretty busy but still.. we didn’t wait too long but it felt almost awkward at first, not that the people there aren’t nice, it was just weird. And usually when I step into a smaller restaurant I always say how cute and cosy the atmosphere is, for Wa’s it was just not there, sure it was small but it was just small..lol. However the food is good, I had the most difficult time picking out my lunch that day. What I really liked about Wa’s is the random display of twigs above the booth seating, I kinda dig it. It makes me feel like a ninja, a ninja that should be running on rooftops.

What we had?

Fresh Oysters
★★☆☆☆ /★★★★★ The one with the tomatoes, way too sour, the ones with the green onions, perfect!
Sashimi Lunch (Assorted Sashimi, Steamed Rice, Salad, Miso Soup, Daily Small Dish, and Pickles)
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★ Sashimi was really fresh, Salad was bland, Miso soup was good.
Katsu-don (Breaded Deep Fried Pork with Eggs on Steamed Rice) ★★★☆☆ /★★★★★ Mmm..so yummy, one downside the fatty around the pork.
Black Sesame Ice Cream
★★★★☆ /★★★★★ What have you ever had in your life that was grey and edible? This way super grey , edible and delicious.! I would come back just for the icecream.

Wa's Japanese on Urbanspoon

Overall Restaurant Rating:
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★

Kinjo to me is like a “safe” meal place, it’s always as you would expect no surprises. When you walk in, it’s spacious yet still very cosy and warm, the booths are my favourite for cuddling up. I’ve probably been to Kinjo a little less than a dozen times but each time it’s super consistent, always good sharing portions and good sushi. My must haves every time are a plate of the Volcano Rolls, and a plate of the Chicken Noodle, and sweet soy sauce instead of the normal stuff.
The people are great, super friendly and if it’s your first time there and Peter is there, you’d get a kick out of it..but after a few times the routine gets a little old but at least if you’re a girl you’re always leaving with some Pocky. And you always get a sampling plate. Yumm!

Prices are determined by plate colour like most “sushi boat” places. There location on Macleod has the whole boat and bar setting but I prefer the Dalhousie location without it.


On our table:
Dynamite Roll ★★★☆☆ /★★★★★
Spicy Tuna Roll
★★☆☆☆ /★★★★★
Volcano Roll
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★
Rainbow Roll
★★☆☆☆ /★★★★★
Agedashi Tofu
★★☆☆☆ /★★★★★
Chicken Noodle
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★
Chicken Fried Rice
★★★☆☆ /★★★★★

Kinjo Sushi & Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment